Sunday, May 17, 2009

Can't imagine how I did this...

What do the following have in common?

Jelly Bellies?
Chinese food?

Answer:

Things I should never, ever eat on the same day.

We were having a quiet Saturday afternoon here and watching some shows on home improvement. Not thinking about it, I ate a handful of Jelly Bellies. No big deal, right? Let's goi with that for now.

Then later in the evening we decided to do chinese take out for dinner. We have done this before, so I have been okay, making adjustments.

All of a sudden, I had the worst headache that I have had in a long time. Take my blood sugar reading: 332!

Ouch!

And I had already taking my short acting insulin and my night time dose of insulin. I don't get angry when my blood sugars are out of whack, I tend to get sick, and sometimes, really, really sick. Last night I had a very bad headache and all that I wanted to sleep. So Mitch let me sleep for an hour at a time, and kept waking me up so that I could test and make sure that my number was going down. So last night was a long night.

I am taking it easy today and staying on top of my numbers and more closely watching what I am eating and how it is affecting me.

3 comments:

mumof3boyz said...

I sure hope you get all of this figured out soon.

Anonymous said...

The MSG and soy sauce didn't help anything, either.. including your sugar, since it would make you swell more.. Isn't it amazing how we mindlessly stick something in our mouth without even considering what it is?? I do that all the time. Hope you get to feeling better quickly..
hugs,
Jean
PS.. next time just take 3-4 more units of the R Insulin.. Make it come down much faster.. Ask the doc for a "sliding scale" to treat things like that..

Jen said...

Back when I was taking insulin and monitoring my blood glucose four times a day, I was suprised to learn how much a tortilla would spike my blood sugar! Also, Doritos had less impact on my readings than an apple.
It just takes time to figure out...